Uses of The
- To refer to something or somebody definite = ____cow; ______bird.
- (Familiar The) to refer to a noun used earlier = I found a gold coin but ____ coin was too old. I bought a pen but ___ pen did not write well. I saw a man but …..man didn’t see me.
- If the noun is definite with a phrase or clause: ____ girl wearing a blue T-shirt is my brother .___girl who came here is my sister._____ pen which I bought yesterday did not write well.
- Cardinal number= One, Two, Three etc.
Ordinal number = First, Second, Third etc.
Before an ordinal number = ____ first boy. _____ eighth place.____56th birthday.
- Before superlative degree = ____ best player. ______ highest score. ____ largest continent.
- Comparative as adverbs = ____more, _____merrier. ___ more you read , ___ more you learn.
- To denote a national name with a plural sense = ______ English. _____French.___ Chinese.
NB: I like _____ English. I like _____ English language.
- Common noun as abstract noun:
Mother = motherhood, beast = beastliness
____ mother rose in her. ____beast in us should be checked.
- Before a road= the _______ Greeb Road.__Mirpur Road.
Before a street and an avenue = × ____Manikmia Avenue.___Gulshan Ave. ___ Rinkin street.
- Some designation: ____ Principal,____President,____Headmaster,____Prime Minister
- Adjective referring to a whole class of people = _____poor. ____ rich. ____ brave.___the helpless, _____active,____idle.
- The + Noun + of = ____ name of our college. _____ importance of learning English.
- Nouns referring to only one thing = ____ sun.____moon.____sky.
- Singular common noun = ____ cow is a useful animal. ______ dog is a dangerous animal. Exception: ____ man is mortal.____woman is man’s companion.
- Musical instruments = ______ guitar, _______ piano, ____ concertina. _____ Harmonium.
- Names of rivers / Mountain ranges / gulfs / newspapers / Plural country names/ Holy books / noted public places / important events= ____padma.______Meghna._____Ganges______Black Sea. _____ Persian Gulf. _____ Himalayas. ______Quran. _____ Bible._____ Daily Star. ____ Ittefaq._____ High Court. _____ Press Club. ______ ____ French Revolution.
- Often before date = _____15th of May._____10th of November. December____4th. ____1st of March. August ____16th.
Omission of Articles (×)
- Adjective ______Noun = (×) good____ boy. Nice ____ pen. Easy ___answer.
- My, his, her, your, our, their, its ____ noun = (×). Their ____book.
- _____ Proper noun= (×). ______Karim. ______Dhaka.____Shakespear.
_____Material noun = (×)______gold._____honey.
_____Abstract noun = (×)_____education._____love._____beauty.
_____uncountable noun = (×)_____water.______sugar.
____Plural common nouns = (×). ____dogs bark. ____cows eat grass
____Plural countable nouns = (×). ____gardens. ____books.
But when they are particular, we can use the.
The Shakespear of Dhaka. The honey that I bought. The sugar of India.
- ____Preposition & Verb = (×) _____ inside, ____against,____remember, ___ eat
- ______language = (×). ____English._____Bangla._____Arabic.
- ___ season, festivals = (×) .___Christmas. ___Eid-ul-Fitre.___Durga Puza.