- Go through the whole text with a comprehensive understanding of it and try to find out the speakers ( ie. who is talking to whom).
- While changing speech of questions and their answers quote the missing words of the context.
|To reply a question||replied that|
|Yes||replied in the affirmative that|
|No||replied in the negative that|
- If sentences of the same kinds are consecutively spoken by the same speaker,
|For Assertive sentences, use……..||For Interrogative sentences, use…..|
added that/ also said that/ again said that/ again added that /further said that / moreover said that etc.
Asked if/ WH
also asked if/ WH
again asked if/ WH
further asked if/ WH
- Don’t change the long and elaborate descriptions or words that exist outside the quotation marks/ reported speech.
- Put the reporting verb in front wherever it is.
- If there is but at the beginning of the sentence, leave out it.
- If the reporting verb is cried/mutter/replied/asked etc. they remain unchanged.
- If it is not mentioned that who is speaking to whom,
Use.. The speaker and the listener/ The person spoken to.