What are the Parts of Speech?
- Noun is a word which names any person, thing or idea.
- pen, dog, work, music, town, London, honesty, air
- Pronoun is a word which stands in for a noun.
- I, you, he, she, we, they, your
- Adjective is a word which adds something to the meaning of a noun.
- some, good, big, red, interesting
- Verb – describes action or state of being. A verb is a word which is used to say something about a person, a place or a thing.
- (to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must
- Adverb – describes a verb, an adjective, or another adverb. (How,When,Where)
- quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really
- Preposition – Links a noun to other words in a sentence.
- to, at, after, on, before, around, over, of, in, for, with, throughout, from, beneath
- Conjunction – Joins words, phrases , clauses, and sentences.
- and, but, when, or, however, although, nevertheless, therefore, yet, so
- Interjection – is a word which expresses some sudden feelings or emotion.
- oh! ouch! hi! Alas! Bravo!
- Determiners: are words like adjectives used to add more information about a noun or a noun phrase.
- Articles: A, an, the
- Possessive Determiners: My, your, our, his, her, etc.
- Demonstrative Determiners: this , that, these, those
- Quantifiers: a few, enough, many, a little, most, some, any, and
- Interrogative Determiners: What….., Which….., Which…..
|v Noun with an Adjective********||v Noun with an Appositive**********|
|v Noun with a (Noun Adjective)**||v Noun with a Present Participle****|
|v Noun with a Determiner******||v Adjective/verb with an Infinitive ****|
|v Noun with a Demonstrative****||v Verb with an Adverb****|
|v Noun with a Quantifier***||v Noun/verb with a Prepositional Phrase|
|v Noun with an article|
|v Noun with an intensifier|
|v Adjective/ Verb with an adverb|
|v Verb with a Present Participle***|